Cloud Foundry is an open platform as a service, providing a choice of clouds, developer frameworks and application services. Cloud Foundry makes it faster and easier to build, test, deploy and scale applications. It is an open source project and is available through a variety of private cloud distributions and public cloud instances. Cloud Foundry is made available by Pivotal and partners.
What is Open Platform as a Service (PaaS)?
Each generation of computing ushers in a new application platform. In the cloud era, the application platform will be delivered as a service, often described as Platform as a Service (PaaS). PaaS makes it much easier to deploy, run and scale applications.
Not all PaaS offerings are created equal. Some have limited language and framework support, do not deliver key application services needed for cloud applications, or restrict deployment to a single cloud. By offering an open PaaS, you get a choice of clouds for deployment, frameworks for development and application services for running your application. And as an open source project, there is a community both contributing and supporting Cloud Foundry.
Interested in joining the team ?
Why Cloud Foundry?
No one between you and your application
Friction-free way to develop, test and deploy applications. Cloud Foundry lets developers focus on writing their applications and not meddling with middleware and infrastructure. While providing self-service access to a choice of high productivity frameworks and application services, developers can quickly build and test next generation applications on their own laptop and scale to the cloud with no code changes.
Portability without changes – Dev/Test/Production, Private/Public clouds
Write your application once, and test, scale and deploy to production without changing your code. Preserve cloud deployment options across private, public and hybrid clouds. Cloud Foundry enables applications architects and operation teams to reduce time to market by shortening the software delivery pipeline and reduce application backlog.
The freedom to choose
Cloud Foundry gives developers what they want...choice:
- Choice of clouds for deployment, across public, private and hybrid clouds. The Cloud Foundry ecosystem includes dozens of partner clouds running on private or public infrastructures including vSphere, AWS, OpenStack, and more.
- Choice of industry standard frameworks including Spring for Java, Ruby for Rails and Sinatra, node.js, Grails, Scala on Lift and more (PHP, Python, etc.) via buildpacks.
- Choice of application services including RabbitMQ, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, Redis and more from Cloud Foundry Marketplace and the open source community.
- Extensible architecture that enables developers and architects to “future proof” their organizations for rapid cloud innovation.
- A Community open source project - Allows any developer to access, evaluate and contribute. Including integrating other frameworks, adding application services and deploying to other infrastructure clouds.
Please visit the Cloud Foundry blog for additional information.